View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
feeheeheeny

Special Services to the School
Mod Babysitter

DMT
Dwarf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Amelia "Mia" Adair
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Leigh Upstead
Hufflepuff
Third Year
x11
be curious, not judgmental

Text Cut: 'I'M MORE THAN A STEREOTYPE' she's insisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
Oh Merlin, she thought he was joking? Maddox watched, clearly amused and willing to let her little cackling fit run its course.

Grumpiness wasn't exactly a one size fits all sort of thing. It just so happened that some people who were grumpy were legitimately so but Sophie was on some Ravenclaw high from news about her grades so he would let her have it, better, he'd play along. Maddox waited til she was done before giving a solemn nod. "You're absolutely right. You see right through my Miss Brown." He lied with his most sincere tone. " It's not something I advertise but deep down I'm a right 'ole softie."

It could have been the truth, in another life before he completely screwed up his animagus training and developed the temperament of a feline. It was all good with his wife and children but he hardly felt 'cuddly' anymore.

Just as he suspected, he would enjoy giving the news as much as she would enjoy hearing it. Look at the way she choked up. A speechless Sophie Brown was quite a sight and he wouldn't mind it more often. His grin widened some when she finally found her words. "Thought we agreed I wouldn't have to be grateful about that if I told you the secret." He wouldn't say thank you but he would shake her outstretched hand.

Naturally he was proud of her but after seeing the watery eyes he wasn't so sure he'd cop to that much.

Ha. HAAAAA. Sophie's expression turned SMUG and she crossed her arms smoothly over her chest at his admittance to her being TOTALLY right. Of course she was, though. Fuller and Culloden had both been the same way - gruff and tough on the outside, with a heart of gold on the inside - and Quiggles gave her Fuller vibes all the time.

"I'm glad you can admit it, professor. You're very brave." Both Fuller and Culloden still would deny their softness, so perhaps it should've been some sort of red flag that Quiggles maybe wasn't being truthful, but Sophie just decided that he was way cooler than both of them and he was more laid back and chill and had a better sense of humor.

Quiggles was the coolest.

He was a big turd when it came to their handshake, though, because he RUINED it by still refusing to be grateful. Sure, that had KIND of been the condition of him sharing the secret, but MERLIN, WHAT A SECRET IT HAD BEEN. She wondered how many other kids got perfect scores at Hogwarts, or any of the other wizarding schools, and if she'd really even made him look that good at all. But if it was as big of a deal as she felt like it was, Sophie thought he did have every right to be proud, both of her and of himself for preparing her so well. Fuller had done the bulk of the work with her and sparked her interest in charms in the first place, sure, but without Quiggles preparing his fifth years so well last term...

She owed him a lot, and she knew it.

After releasing his hand, Sophie rose to her feet and ran a hand through her long, dark hair. "You're quite the character, Professor Quiggles. You kind of irritate me, but you're also the coolest professor at this school. S'fascinating, really." She gave a thoughtful sort of hum, her gaze briefly drifting toward one corner of his office, her features brightening in amusement when her eyes caught sight of his scratching post, and then her eyes met his again. "Just so y'know, m'not bluffing about the barrel of apples, so prepare your appetite for those." She didn't know when, but maybe before Christmas or for his birthday, if she could find out when that was. Or maybe just during a random class that would offer a nice surprise for him. "But I'll come bother you again some other time." As in... Brown out.

She started to turn to leave, just like that, but then there was a pause, and she slooowly turned back to face him. "Thanks again. By the way." She shrugged like it was no big deal, but the smile on her face and the sincerity in her eyes gave away that it was most certainly a big deal to her.