Thread: The Quill
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 01:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Govoni

MO & DMLE
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lyric Bayliss-Black
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Marilyn Romalotti
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Gabriel P. Banner
Law Enforcement
x12 x12
Zombie Apocalypse Team Leader ★ ★ in a crown of pepperoni and artisan cheese

presents
Wizards, Witches, Magical Beasts, and Quidditch!
A Wrap-Up on All Things Summer!

by Zander Adair

Summer is definitely the best time of the year. You haven’t got any homework to fuss about, you can wake up whenever you want, and you don’t have to worry about any last minute exam cramming...(by the way, if a Professor asks, I definitely did NOT cram… ahem). Despite how short the summer holiday always feels, though, it was nothing short of "fun and adventurous" for Hogwarts’ students this year. Whether the time off was spent at home teaching a crup some cool tricks or experiencing a world of travel, the student body really made the best of it!

One of the most anticipated events of the summer was the trip to Scotland sponsored by the Hogwarts Board of Governors. Hufflepuff Fifth Year, Leah Abbot, had a blast on the trip, explaining that the group “traveled to Loch Ness in search of the large kelpie”. Which, if you were wondering, is not a myth. Leah would know, as the group actually encountered the large sea creature; even hopping on board to catch a ride in the water! Students on the trip also got a sneak peak of what’s in store this year at Hogwarts after discovering that their tour guide was none other than Scott Maclaren, new Groundskeeper for the 2086-2087 school year! The trip itself was full of adventure and was surely an experience of a lifetime thanks to the Board of Governors, Professor chaperones, Tour Guide Maclaren, and all the participants. No worries if you missed out though, hopefully, they’ll be more field trips in the future!

The Loch Ness field trip was a great success and a needed break from a hectic year of studying! But some people chose to keep their summers productive, working towards their future careers! My very own dormmate, Chance Coeur, was among those hard-at-work; taking an internship at WHiM—that’s Wizarding Highlights In Media, for those who don’t know—Magazine. Chance shadowed Ms. Parker, who is the head of advertising for the magazine. I’d personally think that a magazine internship would be tons of work, but Chance had nothing but good things to say! He hopes to intern there again next summer if given the opportunity and mate, me and the rest of Hogwarts are behind you!

And while on the topic of future jobs it’s definitely worth mentioning that, Slytherin student, Rorie Hazelwood, spent her entire summer working towards hers as well. This spunky Slytherin took plenty of time off during the school year for her roles in big productions, but this summer she attended her very first film premiere! On top of that, Hazelwood also shadowed Hogwarts Alumni, Justine Janvier-Kim, at Julliard and starred in a couple of music videos. Woah, talk about a busy summer! Just goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you really can achieve your dreams. Well, at least Rorie Hazelwood can.

Another one of my favorite things about summer has got to be the beautiful weather. One might even say it’s perfect for…. Quidditch! With the sport still under a ban at Hogwarts, the summer holiday is a PERFECT time to get all your practice in; especially this year with the Ministry of Magic’s Quidditch Camp! Ravenclaw Kyroh Scabior was one of the many Hogwarts students in attendance and luckily I was able to catch up with him to talk to him about his experience at camp! Kyroh and the others got a lot of practice with the sport’s fundamentals, taking the opportunity to play each position and work on perfecting techniques. Perhaps, though, the best part of camp was getting to fly alongside some famous players, including some of our own alumni players! Kyroh’s personal favorite part of camp was working with West Odessa and from what I’ve heard he’s not a bad pick, Kyroh.

As you can see, summer of 2086 taught us lots of lessons like how to brew the perfect morning coffee for your boss, the right way to fly a broom, that giant kelpies do NOT make good pets, and that we should keep dreaming big, Hogwarts! Now that summer’s over though, we’ve got to buckle down for another busy year of school, ‘cause I’m sure the Professors have quite a few lessons of their own to teach. Welcome back to another year of Hogwarts, folks! School is officially back in session, whether you’re ready or not!