Thread: The Quill
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Govoni

MO & DMLE
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lyric Bayliss-Black
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Marilyn Romalotti
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Gabriel P. Banner
Law Enforcement
x12 x12
Zombie Apocalypse Team Leader ★ ★ in a crown of pepperoni and artisan cheese

presents
Top Ten Things To Do at Hogwarts
by Tobias Fuller-Thompson

The Hogwarts castle is a vast and super magical place, with TONS of things to do and so many secrets to discover that it's nigh on impossible to do everything the school has to offer, even if you're here for a full seven years. I've gathered data on some of the most popular things to do at school, and now I offer you, dear reader, this list of Top Ten Things To Do at Hogwarts.

10. D-d-duel!
The Dueling Arena is always open for kids to practice their dueling skills. Maybe you want to battle it out with someone, or perhaps perfect your aim on a moving target. And if you don't want to risk hurting another person, or perhaps you're just really feeling that teenage angst today, there's a ton of practice dummies in there just BEGGING to be blown up. (In the case of the angst: trust me, it works. Usually.)

9. Visit the Library
For those of you who enjoy reading, the Library is the place to be. And even if you're a kid who isn't the type to sit with your nose in a book all day, the Hogwarts Library has something for everyone. Textbooks about every subject, information about all kind of hobbies, career advice leaflets for those who need them. And if none of that interests you, perhaps try searching for the Invisible Book of Invisibility, taming the Monster Book of Monsters, or catching the Flying Book of Flying.

8. Talk to the Portraits
They're everywhere. In every corridor, on every floor, on almost every wall. The portraits line the interior of Hogwarts and have done for hundreds of years. You may think of them as just part of the background, but these portraits each have a story to tell. Literally. For those interested in history, or perhaps any lonely soul who'd just like a chat, the portraits are there, and they do love to talk. Go ahead and make their day!

7. Search for the Chamber of Secrets
That's right, the legendary Chamber of Secrets may no longer be in use, but I assure you it's still there. Those who know their history (or anyone who was part of the Cartographers' Club last year) can tell you that the Chamber is concealed in the girls' bathroom, so I'm afraid it's No Boys Allowed. But if you're a girl who can speak Parseltongue, the Chamber is all yours to explore!

6. Pet a Puffskein, Hug a Hippogriff, Cuddle a Creature, etc...
Creatures aren't for everyone, but for those who like to get to know the menagerie of creatures in Hogwarts' care, all you need to do is head down to the stables where all the magical creatures are kept. Ask Professor Thompson nicely enough and he might even help you catch a glimpse of a unicorn.

5. Delve into the Lake
The Lake is ginormous; plenty of space for everyone. No need for a pool when you can have a leisurely swim here, or maybe try to befriend Bartholomew Henry, the Giant Squid (I hear he likes toast). Or, if you're brave enough and have yourself some Gillyweed, what's stopping you from checking out the gloomy depths. Well, probably the merpeople, actually...

4. Visit the Kitchens
FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD! The Kitchens are where the real magic happens. Aside from being the Place To Be for all your culinary needs, the Kitchens also house the Hogwarts House Elves, a friendly bunch who work tirelessly around the castle. If you stop by for a bite to eat, be sure to thank the House Elves for their unwavering service to the school; it only takes a few moments to say a few kind words! Of course, to get into the Kitchens, you need to know how to get there. Just look for the biiiiiig bowl of fruit, that's all I'm saying.

3. Stargaze from the Observatory
You don't need to be keen on Astronomy to appreciate this place. Come up here at night to view the stars from one of the prime positions in Hogwarts, whether you're an avid stargazer or just feel at peace looking up at the night sky. Make sure you get permission from Professor Airey before you break curfew, though, and keep in mind he's not too keen on catching snogging couples in his Astronomy Tower, either.

2. Learn a Thing
Hogwarts is, first and foremost, a school, so I guess it goes without saying that a pretty big thing to do here is to... learn something. That may sound like a drag to some of you readers, but learning IS fun, and the level of fun found in lessons here, and the mixture of 'entertaining' and 'educational', is unprecedented. Seriously, I mean you're at a SCHOOL for MAGIC! Hopefully you don't have to me Muggle-raised to understand how awesome that is!

1. Visit the Room of Requirement
Some have found this room and known nothing about it, only to never find it again, others know of this place but never manage to find it. The Room of Requirement is arguably one of Hogwarts' most fantastical secrets. A room that will do your bidding, and provide whatever you want it to, within reason. From a quiet place to study, to a huge chamber filled with a giant adventure playground, this room can do almost anything. And once you find it, somewhere up on the seventh floor, you need only ask, and you shall receive. The possibilities are endless.