View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Magical Soul
Ministry

DERP & DoM
Kappa

Mysteries
x6
Dalliesa | Ab-Bot | Hogwarts Trojan War |

As the students started waltzing into the classroom, Botros smiled warmly (much like the atmosphere here) at them, greeting their sleepyheads back. "Good morning, dear. Good morning, son. Welcome to class." He repeated for one after the other.

Almost all of them had that groggy look on their faces, their feet dragging behind them. Oh what a lazy generation this one was! Botros shook his head at them playfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
"Hullo, professor," Dot paused on her way past him and stared up at him with big solemn eyes. "I'm a third year now so I can take your class. Third year, though, so I don't know very much. Or anything, really. Try not to break my brain, on account of I need it later." She shook his elbow before heading off to her seat.
...and then, there were those who were a little too awake. Although they were also too cute for their own sake. "Don't worry, dear. I've been doing this a long time, I do hope I got the hang of it." He smiled at her affectionately, the same smile he offered his grandkids back home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos.Doodles View Post
"Hullo Professor!! Are we going to learn the rune that will keep us awake in the morning?" It made sense! Though he didn't really feel that sleepy this morning.
Abraham was getting a pretty clear idea about who were the ones who had breakfast this morning and were all charged up for class. "Nice guess, but no. Although I would be very impressed if you take that as an extra activity for this class!" Botros was beaming at the idea.

Now. The class seemed full so he waved his wand at the door closing it and stepped down from the dais carefully. "Happy holidays to you all, I hope you all made some productive and fun plans." Meanwhile, he was going to stay here and finish all the paperwork and other shifty documents. Not that he was complaining, sometimes he was eager to be in a quiet castle without the little ones, but he wouldn't admit this to anyone.

Anyway. Back to class. "A quick recap of Ancient Runes for the new ones." Even though their previous classes should be enough. "Runes are symbols we find in old places etched on old surfaces." It couldn't get any simpler than that. "They're magical. They have different uses in the Wizarding World." He turned to climb the dais again and write on the blackboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboard
Runes:
noun
def. old symbols with magical properties.

Uses:
- Communication: Alphabets.
- Divination: Readings help us make life decisions.
- Magic: Today's subject.
Turning back to the students, he pointed at the last use of runes. "Today we're going to talk about how Runes can help our magic." He walked to stand next to the first row of students. "Runes are symbols, many wizards argue that do not have magic properties on their own but rather borrow magic from their surroundings or what comes in touch with them." He gestured at all of them. "Meaning that if a muggle stumbles upon a boulder with runes on it, the runes will not show signs of magic. The opposite will happen if a wizard discovers a cave with runic inscription on its walls, for example." Get it? Runes take magic from people or objects around them.

"Same thing happens if a muggle writes down those runes. They will not be magical until a wizard invokes them with his or her magic, using the correct enchantments." Botros paused, looking at everyone seriously before moving on. "That's the theory we're going with in our curriculum, it's the widely common and agreed on among Runologists." So, yeah, it wasn't a fact, but it was a solid ground to base their studies on.

"Now. Runes, once they've taken magic from their surroundings, become magical independently. They can be used to strengthen our regular spells, for example, or maybe even stop them. They can also perform magical activities on their own." He smiled and nodded. "But that is something for advanced studies. Today, we'll talk about how runes multiply the power of our regular spells. We need to use the correct rune that corresponds best with the spell, depending on the runes' meaning." He went back to the blackboard. "For example, it's best to use the rune Isa with the spell Glacius, because the rune means ice."

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboard
Runes Magic:
- Runes make our regular spells stronger.
- Runes can block our regular spells.
- Runes can perform their own magical tasks (advanced studies, not for this class)

Runes that correspond best with Spells:
Isa -> The freezing charm (Glacius)
"What other runes can be used with other charms? Give me another example. You may use your textbook to help you with the runes meanings." He waited by the blackboard.

ooc: - one example per student, please. :)
- Any questions can be addressed to the professor, or to me via PM/VM.
- Class will continue in about 24 hrs.