View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #200 (permalink)
sweetpinkpixie

Wizarding World RPG Admin
Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sage Ransom-Kruus
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12
Default house elfsies in here too!
astronomizzle ♧ gryffinDORK | & the rest is drag ♣ #badluckDerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonea View Post
Looking down at all the dirt on her desk she suddenly remembered that she wanted to take something with her for her rat! Raising her hand she called for the teacher! "Professor? Can I take some of the dirt out of my pumpkin with me for my rat Nabber? He will like it to eat it" spoke she with a smile, thinking about her rat and how fun it would be to give it to her little friend.
Her....what?!

Blue eyes snapping towards the Slytherin, mouth completely agate, he stared at her long and hard for a moment. "This rat....is back in your dormitory, right?" he questioned in return. Just checking.

And he was curious how she intended to transport the gunk back to her dorms. Stuff it in her pockets? How disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post
"Oh I could totally paint yours for you after class if you like!" And make it masculine. Totally masculine and manly. She was good at that. Custom nail art. But she TOTALLY still had a big problem over here, so naturally she was watching Flamsteed.

Ruby caught on to what he was doing pretty fast too and brightened. "Can I just vanish the gunk too? Like I don't want to get it under my nails and ruin my nail art, you know?" Said hand went up in the air and waved around. Pleeease? No more pretty galaxy nails, just orange-y pumpkin guts. It would be tragic.
Now he REALLY was looking at his fingernails. Ridiculously starring really. It was as though some complicated mathematical equation were written right there on his cuticles. "I...may need to take you up on that offer, Miss Banner," he mused. He had never had his nails painted...save for the time Kiera had insisted...

Oh.

THWARTED.

Boyish grin tugging at his lips, he eyed his wand and reluctantly returned it to its holster, rolled up his suit's sleeve, and shoved it into the pumpkin. His noise wrinkled at texture and horrible squishing sound. "Just let loose and get into the, er, spirit of the season," he grinned, a VERY forced one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
Look alive? Adi's head snapped up from his pumpkin as the ever so full of energy Professor Flamsteed decided his desk had become a drum set. But still, the rhythm and the fact that Adi liked anything relating to music, made him smile a bit.

"Looking alive, Professor,'' t
he Hufflepuff said and gave the man a salute. Yes. Back to the task at hand.

Stellar. Better alive than the alternative. He gave the prefect a quick salute before moving along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy-Boo View Post

"Professor, can I keep the pumpkin seeds?" Margo asked now working on separating the seed from the rest of the 'guts'.
"I suppose if you wish to keep a few you may," he nodded, not wanting to reveal his future plans too much. Hard to keep secrets here at Howarts, what with all the big hair and whispering walls and so on. "Just don't go sticking them up your nose or anything."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole black View Post
The question wasn’t unusual, a lot of people tended to abbreviate his last name, almost all the teachers at his last school certainly had - with the exception of Miss Fitch, but then she’d just assigned everyone numbers – and Damien shrugged. “Totally fine with me, Professor Airey… “ Generally he didn’t like just being called Anderson, but if that would make the Professor more keen to side with him, welllll….. Damien could definitely live with it. ”You can call me AB or Anderson or, whatever, I’m not picky.”
"Excellent," he nodded, throwing the Gryffindor two thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlooo View Post
Once she had successfully cut around the stem, Evie set down her wand and pulled on the stem hard until she could yank it out of the pumpkin. Now she had to get her hands dirty and scoop out all the pumpkin guts. Eh, not a huge deal. She could clean her hands and nails afterwards.

Evie removed her sweater and rolled up the sleeves of her blouse before sticking a hand in the pumpkin and grabbing a handful of stringy, slimy guts. She dumped it onto her desk and flapped her hand around to get the last bits of goo off, which accidentally flung some across the isle.

Whoops.

Carrying on... Evie continued to scoop out the guts. Ooh, a house elf. Evie smiled at the cute little elf as she walked by.
You know in those muggle movies when something dramatic happens and everything slows down and overly dramatic music begins to play? It typically involves the hero jumping to catch something valuable from falling to the floor or the hero catching their partner/love interest before they completely fall to their doom? This was one of those moments...except Airey Flamsteed was no hero, but his suit could arguably have been his love interest. The doom? That came in the form of pumpkin guts being flung about the room.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" he roared as he dove to the floor to avoid the little flecks that had come his way. Just barely missing them, the hit the blackboard with a dull SMACK-ing noise and clung to it.

"WHO?!" he barked for the floor - and partly into the floor for fear of more gunk coming his direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRaven View Post
Carving the pumpkin?

Did she attend the wrong class? It's not muggle art class, right? It's Astronomy. Bianca wondered why Flamsteed did ask them to do that. "Professor," The brunette then raised her hand. "What is the correlation of this activity to our astronomy lesson? I'm just curious." She asked wondering. Flamsteed had reputation of being fascinating about any muggle stuffs just.. She's completely clueless why she had to do the carving. Maybe he wanted them to make some astronomy model from pumpkins? Dunno.

But then, maybe she'd better to prepare her pumpkin. She grabbed a medium-size orange pumpkin for this activity. No need to pick the bigger one, right? She rolled up her sleeves and started the carving. "Punktumus." she said as she moved her wand to make a circular cut.
Still on the floor, and where he would be for a little while just so everyone knew, he peeked up when he heard the seventh year's question.

"An excellent question," he nodded, wiggling his index finger in her direction. "Astronomy is more than just scientific inquiry and discover, it also heavily influences cultures. Thus, today we are looking more the cultural implications that the universe as so graciously bestowed upon humanity, muggle and wizarding a like."

Which brought him to his next point. Looking up and ensuring that there was no more pumpkin coming his direction, he sat up - still on the floor - and sat there crisscross applesauce as he spoke.

"Carving pumpkins has been a sort of Halloween tradition for what seems like forever," he began. "Some historians say that the tradition of carving into vegetables goes back as far as 10,000 years ago, although the custom we know today is said to have originated in Ireland. Now, today we have discussed Samhain and the celebration coming about because of humanity's interpretation of what celestial bodies were doing. Thus, some wizarding historians make claims that the practice of pumpkin carving actually came about because of astronomy." Sort of interesting, no? Just step back and look at the way the stargazing had impacted their lives! JUST LOOK AT IT! LOOK! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!

Oh wait, he still needed to talk. Right then.

"Most of the time, these carvings were to reflect the spirits and grotesque creatures said to roam the earth on October 31st, and yes...some of this did come about because of witches and wizards could could not keep their wands in their pockets prior to the creation of the Statute of Wizarding Secrecy. Now, modern wizarding archiologists believe that they have found the remains of some of the carved vegetables that contain the carvings not of foul creatures, but of star patterns," he stepped rolled a little closer to the blackboard to point at the list they had created. "These very constellations listed here. Why did some of the ancient peoples do this? It is theorized that, much like the experiment some of you may recall in previous terms with magic and solar eclipses, carving into these pumpkins certain constellations may be a form of sacrifice and on Halloween night the carver would be bestowed with special powers from that constellation, similarly how one carves runes into objects to invoke certain magical attributes." Which he personally found to be ridiculous, much like the solar eclipse studies, but he was doing a colleague a favor by using his October lesson plans for a test study with the theory. Ridiculous being constellation carvings being the same as runic ones."These discoveries are relatively new, so in a sense you lot may be helping make wizarding history. So, using your textbooks to research one of the constellations on the board, I would like you to theorize what sort of special magical attributes they may, or may not, have bestowed upon witches and wizards. Then, using the same spell you used to cut a lid, you are to carve the constellation into your pumpkin. Any questions?"

Oh! And here were the house elves!

"Impeccable timing, you guys," he saluted to the house elves as they popped into the classroom. "You're off the hook, Miss Brown." Unless she really wanted to help them gather up the orange goop that is.

But now back to the students. "You may begin!" And he would review his notes on this whole..."study" while they did that.

And what was that face that Mr. Tempus was making at him? Stare.
OOC: PUMPKIN CARVING PART 2! WOOT WOOT!

First, you CAN still do part 1, so not to worry.

In 3 posts or more, you need to accomplish the following:
  • pick one of the constellations on the board
  • have your character carve it into their pumpkin
  • have your character write a small blurb (5 sentences minimum) on the constellation and what special "magic" it may have been believed to have given a caster (ie, did it enhance water magic? Make transfiguration spells stronger? Give the caster the ability to render shield spells worthless?
  • You may include a graphic or your own creation (either hand drawn or done using an graphics editor) for extra credit

You have approximately 48 hours from the time of this post to finish these steps and the ones listed in my previous instruction post, but I may extend this depending on RP activity

Got a question? Feel free to ask me OOC via VM or PM or IC of Professor Flamsteed.

Happy RPing!

When youre stuck in a moment and your spark has been stolen .................................................. ...........
this is our time to own it, so own it.....................................
baby we were born with fire and gold in our eyes