View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Anna Banana

DMC & DMGS
Selkie

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Eliza Bellerose
Slytherin
Second Year

x1
Hiss!Roar!Growl!Caw! | Hermione's Double | The Little Three | Alecate

Text Cut: Emmalee and Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbiguouslyMe View Post

"I'm... not really in a position to know, really.. she said, gesturing noncommittally. I worked her a long time ago, and then left to go back to school. I only recently rejoined. Just a few months before holiday. Her thoughts were interrupted though, as her name rang out from somewhere behind her.

Emmalee didn't really even have to turn around to know who had called her name. Stopping her stride, she turned, smiling. "Hello, Alex," she laughed. "And yes, it's good to be back. I'm anxious to get back to my plants." Emmalee also looked around. Yes, it did seem as if their greenhouses were the inspiration. "I just hope they didn't actually use anything from them!" She laughed, but was only partially joking. "I'd been working on a cross between a lily and a flutterby-bush and the results were... not exactly safe." She pulled a faux-concerned face. Certainly whoever had set this up wouldn't have taken anything out of the experimental greenhouse. Would they?

Emmalee stood by as the two women got acquainted. "Daphne was just saying she saw a flower arranging station," Emmalee interjected. "What do you say we all give that a shot before getting something to eat?"

She looked first to Alex and then to Daphne. Bonding? Or.. something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Oh good, she hadn't interrupted anything. Not that she expected she would have. This was an open affair, meaning mingling with anyone and everyone was encouraged, yes? She did happen to catch Daphne speaking about children going to Hogwarts and if the Ministry always went all out like this. "Well goodness, of course they do! It's the British Ministry of Magic. It's a coveted place of employment, so we don't expect less than grandiose around here for parties!" Was it bad to have high expectations for the Ministry parties, probably. But Alex didn't really care either.

"Nice to meet you, Daphne and welcome! Where will you be working?" And like, how old was she if she had children? Because Alex was pretty sure she didn't look that much older than herself and goodness, she felt old all of a sudden and she didn't even have any children. "I doubt they'd use hybrid plants, but you never know... I'll keep my eyes peeled for unexpected occurrences though." Alex mused to Emmalee.

She let out a long sigh ... glancing between the two women. "Alright, alright. I mean you know I only come to these shindigs for the food, but you twisted my arm. Flowering arranging station it is." She nodded and waited to follow them ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbiguouslyMe View Post
Emmalee smiled, and visibly relaxed as she saw the table of flowers. It wasn't as if she was stressed before, but something about being able to work with plants, even if it was something as simple as arranging, removed even the littlest bit of tension.

"Are your children going to be of Hogwarts age soon," Emmalee inquired of Daphne. Resting her hands on the table, she no longer looked at the women she walked over with, instead focusing her gaze on the options before her.

Selecting a star-gazer lily, Emmalee turned it over in her hand, briefly considering whether it was a hybrid. Satisfied that it had not come from her greenhouse, she set about picking other blooms to accompany the vibrant pink.

"What do you think," she said, turning to the other women and holding up two options. "Daisies or clematis?" Ooo.. was that moly? Emmalee set down the two she was holding and reached for the distinct black stem and white flowers.

Daphne sort of tuned out as her two companions discussed their plants. She enjoyed a plant here and there but only as a household decoration or gift from her husband. Things like that. She'd never spent her days combining the different types and experimenting with the results. "No plants for me, but I did help restrain a loose Swedish Short-Snout here recently," she chimed in. She was pretty proud of that one. It was also a good conversation starter.

She nodded as Alex answered her question about the Ministry always going all out for things like this. "...and we have one every year? An orientation like this?" she asked. Maybe it'd be a luau or something next time! This was yet another reason why this move back to Great Britain was proving to be an excellent decision. "I'm on level four. Just not with Environment. I'm the Senior Dragon Researcher in Creatures," she replied.

Soon the small talk was cut short as their walk to the flower arranging station was done. They were here, and surprisingly, it wasn't packed like she imagined it'd be. She sat down next to Emmalee and stared at the flowers before her. Suddenly, she felt very inadequate. She loved flowers, and her husband gave her bouquets of them all the time, sometimes not even just for special occasions. Making a bouquet of them herself, though? She looked at the choices Emmalee held out then finally pointed to the daisy. "I like that one," she said. Then, as an afterthought, she added, "Well, my oldest will be at Hogwarts next year, but my youngest is only a few weeks old." She'd had Ryland on December 10.