View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #61 (permalink)
PhoenixRising

DMAC & DERP
Quintaped

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Amelia Adara
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emma Montmorency (#301199)
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Chloe Michelle Adara
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
TiaMarie Mancini
Ecological Protection

x12 x8
YesJess! | Captain Goggles | Mama Badger | Eva's Soul Sister | An OG™ | It's all in the Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lissy View Post
Yeah, Caleb knew how to make a fire. Point your wand and say Incendio. But of course, that was not the answer she was looking for. He wasn't stupid, he knew that. But he guessed maybe it WAS good info in case he got in a broom collision or something and his wand cracked. Then he got lost in the woods after said crash. Caleb would totally survive in the wilderness. He just knew he would. He could hunt birds and stuff and eat berries that he learned about in Herbology that wouldn't kill him...

OH RIGHT. HE WAS SUPPOSED TO ANSWER A QUESTION.

Snapping out of his daydream, he raised his hand. "Um, there's this thing called flint that makes fires. It's some kind of rock or something that makes sparks when you hit it against another rock, right?"
"Yes. You could use a flint, or as Kaiden so kindly has with him.... he has a firestarter with him." Which she was not going to ask WHY he carried that with him during school. Not in front of the class anyway, though later on the other hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionesclone View Post
If Alec could read minds, he would be protesting at the idea of no kissing later. Just saying, girlfriend.

... HEY! Were they going to be building a campfire? Really? He leant forwards a little and glanced at the big space in the middle of the classroom. It... seemed like it was big enough for a campfire. Or several campfires. And if they were going to be making one, they'd be able to work in groups, yeah? Even if, thanks to his father, he knew a bit more about camping than he wished.

... Moving on...

Question. What was needed for a campfire? The answer seemed simple enough and so, Alec raised his hand in the air. "You need wood, Professor! Dry wood that can be lit easily." Because wet wood didn't work, as his Dad was good at mentioning numerous times on every single one of their camping trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanficfanatict View Post
How to build a campfire? Seriously? Wood...fire...done. He had his lighter on him if she wanted it, yeah?

But...it was fairly simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team ronmione View Post
Now ways to build a campfire. Tag sort of knew about this. He'd never gone out camping but watching the nature shows and stuff on the television back home he'd learned some basic pointer.

Like that person said, you can rub two sticks together against a rock until a small smoke appears, you blow the spark gently and then a real fire begins to appear in the pile of wood. Or something like that I believe. Tag had never used that method. But it was something like that. " Or you can use a mirror and the sun. So that the sun beam shines on the mirror and then the wood." Was that right?

Again, Tag only had basic knowledge from tv shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanners View Post
................ A campfire?

An actual campfire? OH. Elodie was a whizz at this. She'd gone camping with her family every year since she was 7, and she EVEN knew campfire songs. She'd share those with 'fessor Hadley later, because she wasn't asking for that kind of stuff. Yet. "Someone with some common sense." You know..not to burn themselves or be an idiot around the fire. LIKE FIRST YEARS.

Were they really going to trust first years!?

'On top of spaghetti all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed...'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lislchen View Post
Were their suggestions making Hadley uncomfortable? Something gave her the impression that they were. They hadn't suggested anything inappropriate. Only because she was an old lady who probably had no one to snog. That wasn't their fault. At least she had simply accepted her answer. Good.

Moving on now.

Olly groaned when finally their Head of House explained what the point of this lesson was. Camping. Camp fires. Olly was in NO WAY a happy camper. Bad pun, yes. But it was true. She wasn't either actually. Neither a camper, nor was she happy. Also she had no idea how to make campfires. When this first year said something about rocks and how if hit by other rocks it might create a spark Olly rolled her eyes. That sounded like really tedious work, though. "Or you could just use a lighter." There, she even held one up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheBurrow View Post
Campfires?

Like...campfires and s'mores? Was there s'more stuff in those bags? WAS THERE? The cold was doing funny things to Ella's brain and her tummy felt emptier than usual and so now she was cold and hungry.

As for ways to make a campfire, Ella raised her hand. "You need kindling to start, Professor. That's the small bits of wood that go up easily to get the fire burning hot so that it catches the bigger logs."
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFox06 View Post
Anya liked campfires! Yes she did. And she knew how to do it too. "I liked teepee campfires." she offered with a raised hand. "For that you lean the sticks together in a cone shape." In case there was someone who didn't know what a teepee was.
"Yes. Wood, lighters, kindling, and common sense are all good things to use when building a campfire! Excellent!" Hadley beamed and then blinked in confusion at the Gryffindor boy. "Rubbing two sticks together to make fire can be effective, but not always. So a firestarter or flint or lighter are your best bets, once you've built your firepits." Hadley passed around some parchments with instructions on it that she had printed up. "This should help you."

"Alright. So I've got a little competition for you." Cue mysterious smile and pause. Though they probably, maybe, knew what was coming next. "I think we've got enough space in here for four small teepee campfires. I say teepee, because it will be safer than just a regular campfire and more controlled." Yes, yes? Besides, Miss Phillips did just say she liked them. "The competition is between houses. Within your houses, you're each to build me the best campfire you can, given the space constraints. They'll need to be no larger than half a meter in diameter. You have the remainder of the class to build me the best campfire you can. I should have all the stones for the perimeter and firewood you need ... here in this bag." With that, she reached in and pulled out four equal amounts of firewood and stones for each house. "Good luck."

ooc:
- Ideally you have 48 hours to complete this, but if I find you seem to need more time, I can add extra time, if needed.
- Work with your housemates. Foreign students? You can work with those houses that your sleeping arrangements are with.
- The more members of your house involved in the building / creating = the better. If one person does all the work, then less credit. SO go out there and get your housemates to come participate!
- Creative RPing and use of graphics for the final project = MAJOR PLUS. At least one member of your house is graphic capable.
- The windows are open for ventilation, so we don't die of smoke inhalation
- Do NOT light your fires until Professor Hadley has approved your campfire design. When you've finished building the framework, request her to come look at your design. Use the title line in posts to grab our attention =)
- There will be house points rewarded, as well as another special surprise at the end.
- I think that covers everything, but if you have any further questions, please ask me (either IC or OOC via PM/IM/VM)

______________So much is happening to me. So much that I can't even see.
So many words of wisdom that I am trying to be. It'll be in my own time.