View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Post Harry Potter Wonderbook: Book of Spells PS3 London event exclusive photos, report

SnitchSeeker had the opportunity to attend the London launch of J.K. Rowling's new Harry Potter supplementary book, Wonderbook: Book of Spells, exclusively for the Playstation 3 console, this past weekend.

Correspondent Milo took a few photos of a demonstration that took place for visitors to get an idea of how to play the game and read the book, and gave a brief review of his take on the Harry Potter spells game. More on the event, which took place at the Freemasons Hall in London’s Covent Garden, can be seen and read below.

The Wonderbook Book of Spells is a new interactive game for the Sony Playstation, which makes use of the Playstation Move range. I got the chance to attend an exclusive preview event at the Freemasons Hall in London’s Covent Garden. Prior to entry, groups of families were gathered outside the doors, where a purple carpet was laid, as well as fiery decorative lamps, and what I can only describe as a children’s entertainer dressed as a Goat Wizard.

Once inside you could really get a sense of what to expect from the game simply by the way the place was decorated and more so the venue itself which could easily have been a filming location for one of the Potter films. There was also an opportunity at the entrance, to have your picture taken with an owl, in keeping with the Wizarding world theme, yet distinctly void of any Potter/WB trademarked references, since this is now a Sony/J.K Rowling venture.

Children were given sheets, which featured puzzles and quizzes related to the game, and so they had to go around to each different area where they could find out answers and also get a stamp on their sheet for each different thing they visited. You could see how Sony want this game to be as interactive and educational as possible but at the same time making it fun.

The venue was filled with many people dressed as different characters, though they mostly looked like they’d fit in Narnia rather than J.K Rowling’s world. There were many areas which gave you the opportunity to play the game. I seized my opportunity straight away before the melee of kids made it impossible for me to do so.

I was greeted by a friendly chap (who looked and spoke rather like Matt Lewis) who was keen to show me how the game worked. I sat down on the floor (which was laid out similarly to a Professor Trelawney divination class) and started my journey into this new game.

I have never played with the Playstation move software/hardware so what struck me instantly was how interactive and responsive it was to the player’s movements.

To give you an idea, you have the TV screen, then you have a Playstation move camera which picks up your image, you also have the move controller which appears on screen as a wand. With the book of spells you also have a book which itself has nothing in it apart from the tracking shapes but onscreen it creates the book from that image perfectly and that’s how the game is played. You start from the very beginning, and you begin to learn spells, and at the end of every chapter you have a test where you practice the spells and recap on what you have learnt. There is also the opportunity to link this game with your Pottermore account so once you pass each test you can earn 15 points.

I found the game to be quite enjoyable, especially the spells and incantations, which I think is a great element to the game, not only do you move your wand, but you can also interact with your voice. As was evident around many, all the families and especially the children seemed to be fascinated with it, and it's certainly something I think that will keep them glued to the game for hours, and its also an opportunity for them to learn at the same time, and an incredibly immersive way for them to experience Hogwarts.

Wonderbook: Book of Spells, exclusively for Playstation 3 and out November 13, can be pre-ordered at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk.