View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 AM

Post JK Rowling attends Lennoxlove Book Festival, talks "The Casual Vacancy", Harry Potter

J.K. Rowling completed her promotional tour for The Casual Vacancy this week at the Lennoxlove Book Festival in Scotland, discussing themes about her first book for grownups, and admitting that she would rather write books with mixed reviews than delve back into Harry Potter when she currently chooses not to. A few quotes from her panel discussion, as well as photos with moderator Muriel Gray, from the Lennoxlove Book Festival can be found below.

"I mean this from my heart and soul, but I would rather spend the rest of my career writing books I love but others don't love so much than trying to repeat something I've already done."

“There are so many rules. One of mine is ‘Never have sex near unicorns’. There’s just something tacky about it. And that’s why although Harry had a bit of a snog, it didn’t go further than that!”

“The core of the idea was ‘local council election: teenagers sabotage it’. I told a couple of people, but if I had gone by the looks on their faces, the book would never have been written.

“It is the mark of either how much my husband loves me or how right I was to marry that man, but he was the only person who, when I told him my idea, said: ‘Yes, that sounds good’.”

“Fats Wall and Albus Dumbledore are two of my favourite characters to write about.”

“But it’s not like Hogwarts,” she insisted. “It’s not a great battle between good and evil. There’s no easy answers, no 
solutions, just so many shades 
of grey.”