Thread: HoM: Lesson One
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #168 (permalink)
Kaos.Doodles
Dark Force Defense League

SS Featured Author
Clabbert

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Takeru Asakura
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Legend Chosen
Magical Law Enforcement

x5 x7
★ BabyQuad ★ PERRY THE PLATYPUS ★ Ern's Fave ★ dangerous with brooms ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances_With_Potter View Post
Sutton stared at the notes she had taken down about the Hogwarts Express thus far and considered the professor's question, trying to think of any possible reason why the train had stopped... something different than what all of the other students had said. Just because the majority came up with one solution didn't necessarily mean it was correct. For once, Sutton thought that perhaps not having much knowledge of magic would be helpful because she was beginning to wonder if magic sometimes became an easy answer.

He had said that everything in the train had stopped working... it literally broke down, just like a Muggle train would do, and it had broken down to the point that even using a Muggle fuel source wouldn't have made the train move, so it simply had to be more than just that the spells had been taken off of it. There was something more to it...

More needing to think aloud than answer the question, she raised her hand to speak. "Professor, I think my classmates here have made some really great suggestions, but I don't know... I just... I agree with the Slytherin prefect, I guess. I feel like there's something more to it, something more than just a spell someone cast on it to make it stop working. First of all, it didn't just stop like it did the time with the dementors... because other fuel sources wouldn't power it, like you said, so for all intents and purposes it was broken or completely locked up somehow.

Also, I mean, what was the point? To cast a spell to lock up the train, which is surely embedded with incredibly powerful magic, would have taken a lot of skill, planning, time, and power, and for what purpose? The train itself stopping didn't cause any harm, and there were other ways to get the students here, and someone with that much knowledge and talent would have realized that. Yes, some students got hurt taking the portkeys and such, but they couldn't have foreseen that or planned it. So, crashing it wasn't the intent like the second time.

What other reason could there have been to stop the train?

I don't know, I mean... I just... feel like trying to understand the what isn't as important in this case... or really in the study of history as the why is because the why brings Truth, and to me... that is what history should do.."

Sutton looked around at everyone with wide eyes, and her heart pounded in her chest as she swallowed a hard lump that had suddenly appeared in her throat.

Perfect time to go off on a rant, Sutton...

Looking back down at the desk, tears threatened at the corners of her eyes from her embarrassment of talking so much about things she didn't really understand. "Sorry, Professor..." she quietly mumbled, staring at her desk.
Someone was long winded. Scabior listened though, eyes set and nodding his head slowly encouraging her to continue. "Well yes, it would be lovely to know why the train stopped. But how can you expect to know one without the other. The why and the what are interlaced. Once one is figured out the other should fall in suit, and figuring out the why on its own at the moment is much more difficult."

Now to the other Puff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortalismusicoh View Post
Um...No..just no.

O_____________O

That had NOT just happened!

With her mouth almost falling off, Renesmee stared at the Professor as her note flew up in the air and landed in his hands. Why? Why did he have to take it? She watched him read it and began squirming in her seat. She needed an escape...but there was none. If only she had the power to turn invisible, that was what she needed. That way her escape would have been as easy as pie, but that was not the case and as much as Nessie wanted to hide under a rock for the rest of class she knew she couldn't.

Good he was finished reading the no-- WHAT? He wanted her to READ it A LOUD? Wasn't it enough that he had already read it himself. Oh Merlin! This didn't seem to be getting any better, and the idea of an buying an invisibilty cloack was only growing in her mind.

"Um..do..do"
Do I have to..she finished the sentence off in her mind, realizing that verbalizing it would only cause more trouble. "Al..alright..Pr..Professor." So embarrassed that she began shaking she got up from her seat and stood in front of the class.

"You..you seem to be close to Dy..Dy..lan, the snake captain."
She couldn't help the stuttering, nor speaking fast. It was just so humilating. "I was wondering if ..if you could maybe s..s..spy on him forme?"

The whole world would judge her now? Wouldn't they? Just great. She shook her head trying not to let too many negative thoughts flow through her mind. It was over, or at least she thought. Deep breathe. No need to go all crazy..no need to cause havoc. "Um..I'm sor..sorry Professor..ma..may I go ba..back to my seat?" Because she had done what she was told.
"No." She was not allowed to go back. He had half the mind to ask her to read the note out LOUDER. Actually-"I don't think he heard you." Scabior pointed at the Slytherin Captain. "This time speak a bit more clearly, everyone in the room should be able to hear." Yes, everyone needed to hear since it was SUCH an IMPORTANT note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
No, Vivi was fairly certain that the Hogwarts Express, a brightly colored old fashioned steam engine that only crossed a specific set of tracks 6 times a year was an anomaly and would draw the attention of Muggles. The good professor might have pfffed over her suggestion, but she noticed he wrote it on the board.

She settled back into her seat and tilted her head, considering the question as her classmates offered their own suggestions. These questions were so speculative, so... much guesswork that it didn't feel a thing like other history classes, where she was used to dealing in facts and figures and conversations about who started what war and why.

Finally, she roused herself and raised her hand. "Professor, a spell that merely stopped the spells wouldn't have stopped the mechanical parts of the train, and we would have been able to use the coal. Whatever happened, it must have stopped both the magic and mechanical parts - is there a single spell that can do it, or would it have to be a combination of spells?"
Was there a single spell? Scabior shook his head after a few moments of thinking. "There are not any that I know of." Even in terms of advanced spells? No. He could think of none.

Anyways, "A lot of you are thinking correctly, in the terms of past events. It very well could have been a break down of old spells, and if the train was back in Hogsmeade station right now I'd assume that very thing. But it isn't, and so that is highly unlikely." Even if it was just a giant Finite Incantatem. "Dark magic could also be a good guess as well, considering the last two times the train stopped. Clearly at the moment no one knows exactly what stopped it, but the only way we can figure out is by looking back in the past. That and of course testing various methods out." Now with THAT said, he jabbed his thumb once more at the train behind him.

"On my desk is a miniature Hogwarts Express. Up and running, unlike all of yours. The one on my desk is the original and all of yours are copies. However they are all broken and have stopped because of it. Why? I broke them." It had been fun too, but only since they were copies. He could never break the original. Kyroh would not respond well to that. "Everyone on the left side of the room have trains that have stopped like just like the Express did on September 1st 1993. Everyone on the right side have trains that have stopped and crashed like Express did on September 1st 2048 and lastly, everyone in the middle have gotten a train in which both the spells and the mechanics of the train have stopped like this recent incident." He pointed indicating which side of the room was which in case some students still didn't know their lefts from rights. He wouldn't put it past some of them. "You will work with your partner and attempt to fix the trains based on what you know about how they broke down. If you lot need any help take a look at the original train-" the one on his desk "-but do not touch. Or you can call for me." Sometimes a little spell work was required in History of Magic.

OOC: You guys get to choose which side of the room you are on! Work with your partner and try out different spells or poke the train or set it on fire in attempt to get it moving around your track. A minimun of five posts is required to get the max number of points. Have fun with it guys!

{act like you know me, but you never will}__{but there's one thing that I know for sure}

{i'll show you}