View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
LoonyLupin99
Hufflepuff
Dugbog

quill Part 5

Let’s go back to what I was saying about the rules of marriage in our family. As you know, my sister Narcissa ended up marrying Lucius Malfoy, and they had a son, Draco (more on Draco later). I married Rodolphus Lestrange, whom I’d known back at Hogwarts. He took a real liking to me, but I didn’t like him nearly as much. Obviously, this marriage wasn’t for love. He knew that even before he proposed. Again, this was about keeping pure blood in the family. It was about keeping my parents happy. Ironically, we never had children. My heart had already been given to the Dark Lord, and no amount of love from Rodolphus could change that. I did appreciate the fact that Rodolphus was just as loyal to him as I was, however.

Andromeda, my other sister, is another story. She met and fell in love with Ted Tonks. We didn’t know it yet, but he was a Muggle-born. They’d been keeping the secret from us for a couple years, until she sent an owl, requesting that we come visit her.

Once Mum, Dad, Narcissa, and I were together in the kitchen, she said, “You remember my dear boyfriend Ted, right?” We all nodded. “Well… He proposed to me the other day!” Excitement was written all over her face.

Mum rushed up to hug her. “That’s wonderful, Dromeda! When do you think the wedding will be?”

“We haven’t really decided that yet, but it’ll probably be next autumn. Bella, Cissy, I hope you’ll be my bridesmaids.” The girl inside me was ecstatic. Dressing up and helping her with the preparations would be loads of fun. I mean, I can’t be evil all the time.

Dad hadn’t spoken a word to Andromeda so far. He gave her a serious look and said, “I don’t think I’ve seen the name 'Tonks' in any of the Wizarding family records, from what I recall. Can you explain that?”

She stared at the floor cautiously and took a deep breath. “His parents are Muggles.”

I raised my eyebrows. Narcissa gasped. Mum and Dad glared at her disapprovingly. I hadn’t been expecting this, this… engagement to filth.

“We’ve told you countless times how terrible Muggles are!” Dad exclaimed. ”Now you want to marry the son of Muggles? Didn’t we clearly say what would happen if something like this occurred?”

My sister tried to defend herself. “Yes, but-”

“But what!?” he roared.

Andromeda started quivering. “But… I love Ted. It doesn’t matter to me who his parents are. He’s a wizard, just as much as you are.”

“You couldn’t be more wrong,” Mum murmured in a snobby voice. “He acquired his power by sheer chance. He doesn’t have any magical blood running through his veins. That means your children wouldn’t be pure-bloods. ”

“Again, WHY does it matter?” Andromeda argued, regaining her firmness. “He’s gifted with magic, and I’m marrying him, no matter what you say. I just knew that you’d react this way, which is why I didn’t speak up before. At least now, you know where my heart is. When we do have children, I’ll allow them to marry whomever they want. They could marry a werewolf, for all I care! It would make no difference to me.”

“Then you leave us no choice,” Mum proclaimed. Satisfied with the direction of our talk, I thought, here it comes… the big splat!

“We weren’t kidding when we said that we’d cut off contact from you if you so much as made friends with a Muggle or a Muggle-born,” Dad said sternly. “Andromeda Mira Black, this is the last time you’ll ever see us. Don’t bother sending any owls, either. We won’t read them.” He couldn’t even look her in the eye anymore.

“You wouldn’t really do that to your own daughter, would you?” she pleaded unsuccessfully. Her eyes began to water. “Mum? Tell me it’s a joke.”

Our mother just shook her head slowly. Andromeda became totally helpless.

“Cissy?”

Narcissa walked up to Andromeda to reply. She said, matter-of-factly, “I can’t imagine why you’re putting yourself through this, Dromeda. Why can’t you just find a pure-blood to marry?”

“Because, Ted is more than good enough for me.”

I scoffed at this. She must be mad to love this man so much, I decided. Mercilessly, I told her, “He’s got nothing but dirty blood in him. If you were a sensible witch, you’d see that.”

She turned to me in agitation. “You’re going to shut me out, too, Bella? You haven’t even met him. I thought maybe you, out of the family, would understand.” I couldn’t believe that she remembered the time when I didn’t hate the Muggles. That was a lifetime ago.

“I know better now,” I retorted coldly, “and I’d love it if you thought like we do. Since you don’t… We have to say goodbye.”

“Please… no…” Andromeda was sobbing. “I can’t lose my whole family in one day!”

We said no more and left at once. It really was the last time I ever saw Andromeda. There was no need for the Cruciatus Curse here. We’d hurt her badly enough with our words.

Last edited by LoonyLupin99; 02-10-2012 at 09:49 PM.