Thread: Speculation & Theory: Snape, Harry a slytherin
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #73 (permalink)
Furienna
Hufflepuff
Streeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon View Post
Well the books have made me believe the opposite. I have actual quotes from the books to prove my point. I see absolutely no proof to say that he would be a different person. Dumbledore himself told Harry that it was ONLY because Harry chose Gryffindor that the Hat put him there. I tend to agree with him.
But like I've said before, the hat didn't right out say "you should be in Slytherin", but rather "Slytherin would help you achieve greatness". And it probably only said so because Harry, at that point, was desperate to prove himself as good as the kids, who had been raised into magic world, and maybe also because of the horcrux. But when Harry had rejected Slytherin, there was no doubt left in the hat, that he belonged in Gryffindor, where it probably would have placed him anyway. It didn't even consider talking him into choosing Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, and it probably wouldn't have talked about Slytherin either, if it hadn't been for Harry specifically asking not to go there. And you have said yourself, that you would have put Harry in Gryffindor, and the sword of Gryffindor came to him. So as I see this, Dumbledore didn't mean "it was only your choice, that made the hat put you in Gryffindor", but rather something like "through your choice, you showed that you didn't belong in Slytherin".

Last edited by Furienna; 09-07-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote