View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #86 (permalink)
Maxilocks
Special Services to the School

SS Featured Author
Türk Bilgini
Bugbear

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sarani Glass
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Sion Logan Jetza
x12
♥ Mrs. Itachi Uchiha™ & MAJNOO! : Bleach & Kyo & Natsume ♥ [ Maxh!Jesh ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
"Thanks Professor." She said as she moved over to the basket and picked out a couple of chocolates. "And if it doesn't help...?" What then Professor? Mia made her way back to her seat also with a smile playing on her lips.
Jared smiled slightly. "Then help yourself to some more."

Though if chocolate - something most students seemed to adore - did not help, he didn't see much he could do to brighten up her mood, at least not right now, a lesson being at hand. Unless she preferred s'mores over simple chocolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
Kurumi needed to cling to something, or someone, and the person closest to her just happened to be a certain Gryffindor Prefect. She practically leaped onto his lap when he asked them to think about other views of ghosts. "P-P-Professor," Kurumi squeaked with her hand raised. "I-I-I-I grew up being told about Onryō...or vengeful ghosts...F-F-For example...th-th-there is one story about a samurai who vows to his dying wife never to remarry. He soon breaks the promise, and his former wife's onryō beheads the new bride." Kurumi squeaked again and literally was sitting on Patroclus' lap now.

She looked around. If anything white moved, she probably would scream. "W-W-W-We also think that ghosts dress in white, have black hair that is usually long, their hands dangle lifelessly from the wrists and they don't really have any visible legs..."
"Kurumi..." Jared blinked as she actually huddled into the Gryffindor Prefect. "It's alright. No mean ghost is going to show up." No mean ghost. "I'm here to ensure everyone's safety."

He might have said something else to comfort her, but the imagery of her next few sentences did not give him a chance to. He resisted the urge to half-smile. Dangling hands? Invisible legs? He had to give those muggles credit for knowing how to pitch a good yarn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRoHeGiNeLu View Post
Ellie watched as the marshmallow went black and wrinkley and fell to the bottom of the fire. Hah!

"Basically," she said, fixing another marshmallow onto her stick.
Jared considered her answer.

"I suppose you know it's not a good idea to use a phrase if you don't know its meaning?" Just saying.

Text Cut: Scaaaaary answers xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
Emily though of her time in the muggle world. Her neighbour Ainsley had always been scared of the idea of ghosts... thinking they would haunt her and mak bad things happen.

"I know that a lot of muggles fear them... they think that ghosts are evil and scary spirits that try to harm them. They often beleive that ghosts have telekenectic powers and are able to move object with their minds."
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFeisty View Post
Kyle looked up from her smore-making when she heard her name. Ooh, what was a way that muggle view on ghosts and wizard views differed.

"One thing is that most muggles believe ghosts to be malevolent or evil - more like what we would call poltergeists." She stuck a marshmallow on a stick as she spoke.

Sticky.

"That, and that you can't actually see them unless you are what they call a medium - someone who can speak to ghosts, and see them - also mediums can communicate with those who are dead and aren't ghosts."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordanyes View Post
She had seen a muggle show that could help her with this answer! "They view them as people who died and have unfinished business. Quite often there are 'ghost whisperers' who have to help them cross over. Sometimes the ghost are violent and can manipulate and control people and things to do their bidding to kill people or hurt them."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luinevaug View Post
Luin thought on the topic for a bit, finishing off a s'more she had just made. She licked the chocolate and marshmallow off of her fingers then raised her hand, "I've heard that Muggles portray ghosts to be something to be afraid of. Like they are out to get everyone else who is alive. They also have their superstitions that ghosts always represent something bad." she wasn't sure how he meant the question to be answered but gave her best guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenzlebug View Post
"There are muggles who can see ghosts but think of their ability to see them as a curse of some sort. Many muggles believe they don't exist, and those who believe they do are classified as weird people." Cedric answered, upon raising his hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnitCHchASER View Post
Harper immediately began to munch on a marshmallow (YAYAYAYAYAYYY MARSHMALLOWSWOOOHOOOYEAHBABYYY!!). She swallowed hurriedly when she thought of an answer to this question.

"Well, some muggles believe that ghosts are humans that come back in a transparent, invisible or spirit-like form, to get revenge or closure on something from their lives. Sometimes they even believe that they can possess people. It's what some people blame mysterious things on, too, the paranormally suspicious ones. Like, if something happens, say, all their books fall out of their bookcase, and there was no other solution to it, they could blame it on "ghosts". Or strange noises at night. I think maybe it's things that wizards cause accidentally, and they just assume it's ghosts trying to rid them out of their houses or something." Harper shrugged. She didn't need to talk so much. "Muggles are usually afraid of them, anyway, and for good reason, given all their own stories of them. I would be too, if I didn't know better."

Yep yep.

"Oh, and sometimes muggles who feel guilty about something they did claim they have ghosts haunting them or their houses - but I think they're just letting their imagination getting the best of them because they feel bad." she rolled off another shrug. "And usually the muggles believe that the 'ghosts' want something. From them, or otherwise. And, also, ghosts are seen as scary scary VERY scary things in the muggle world. It's a popular Halloween costume, even. They associate ghosts with fear and horrific occurances."
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl
Mia listened as some of the students gave the answers and then she raised her hand. "That is true for most muggles. But not all of them see spirits or ghosts that way. A lot of muggles are fascinated by the paranormal. They even go and stay at places that are said to be haunted. They take their camera's and video equipment hoping to catch a glimpse of a spectre. There are also people who call themselves mediums who converse with spirits to help the people they left behind."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkbarrett View Post
"Well... I read somewhere that people-wizards- that are afraid of death come back as ghosts. Or maybe they don't even really leave at all, they just... transform once they die." ERM. Off topic. Time to go back to the subject. "Growing up in a muggle neighborhood, I learned from other kids that ghosts are seen as the supernatural. Some people believe that if they do someone wrong and they die, their spirit will come and haunt them as torture or karma for what they did. Or, some people believe that if someone died before they finished a task, their spirit will linger until that task has been accomplished." She said with a shrug. Just her two sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyH. View Post
"Professor, Muggles are often taught that Ghosts are things to be feared, due mainly to informed muggles they often appear in books, movies or TV shows, where they are able to ralt chains or carry knifes......but we all know that poltergists are the only spectres that are able to hold physical objects."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhyre View Post
For the first time in her life, Eiri then rose her hand and offered her best thoughts. "Different cultures have different beliefs," she said, voice small and warped by her thick accent, "which reflect their beliefs and values. Because muggles do not know ghosts really exist or what they are like, they depend on old myths to tell them what they are like. In Brazil, people believe less in ghosts and more in demons... and some ghosts are said to protect the forests, because the country is does not have such a history of being industrial like England or America and they still have a severe attachment to nature."
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanficfanatict View Post
Selina thought about the posed question. Being raised in the magical world her knowledge on Muggle behavior was soley comprised of Muggle studies and her Muggle grandfather. When she answered she said, "Well sir, when I was younger my grandfather used to watch all of these movies like moving pictures in our newspapers. It was weird because in these movies they had ghost depicted as paranormal and evil things. They are also usually back from the dead for revenge."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockhartian View Post
The boy raised his hand, "Well, those who don't fear ghosts...," Muggles, that is, "...they often blame them for whatever they can't explain, like, things going missing, something moving, and so on."
"You've all provided some good insight into how the muggle view of ghosts differs from ours," Jared said, nodding at each answer. Some of them had been quite excellent. "Take two points each."

"It seems that, as opposed to the average witch or wizard's take on ghosts, the average muggle fears or does not believe in them. There are exceptions, of course but, speaking on a general basis, fear of the unknown and uncertain is dominant. I believe that is one reason the muggle world has a larger market for ghost stories. But, all that aside, is it always ghosts that muggles are dealing with? Like Harper and Treyen have said, a large number of muggles tend to think 'ghost!' in the face of strange occurrences - such as items moving on their own - that a witch or wizard could find perfectly reasonable explanations for. For example --"

He cast a Disillusionment Charm on himself and, now invisible, picked up one of the boxes of chocolates on the ground and moved it from one spot to another. Then he cast the counter-charm, so that he could be seen again. "Now, all of you just saw the box of chocolates moving 'on its own.' But that was definitely not the work of a ghost. Can anyone explain what I'm getting at?"

OOC: There are no right or wrong answers. Not really.

Last edited by Maxilocks; 03-15-2011 at 04:28 PM.